As of 2:00PM on September 26, 2022. Holmes County BOCC has issued a Local State of Emergency (LSE) for Hurricane Ian. This LSE will remain in effect until all threats and impacts have passed.
******Effective Thursday, March 10, 2022 – the Order Prohibiting Outdoor Burning as been lifted.**********
Order Prohibiting Outdoor Burning
WHEREAS, the Holmes County Board of County Commissioners does hereby find that circumstances present within Holmes County to create a public safety hazard that would be exacerbated by outdoor burning;
NOW, THEREFORE, it is ORDERED that outdoor burning is prohibited in all of Holmes County as follows:
- Actions prohibited:
- A person violates this order if he/ she burns any combustible material in an outdoor
- A person violates this order if he/ she engages in any outdoor activity which could allow flames or sparks that could result in a fire.
- Upon notification of suspected outdoor burning, Holmes County Volunteer Fire Department shall respond to the scene and take immediate measures to contain and/ or extinguish the fire.
- As soon as possible, Holmes County Sheriff’s Department shall respond to the scene to investigate the nature of the fire. The officer on scene will request immediate compliance with this
- This order does not apply to the following outdoor burning activities:
- Burn operations approved by the Florida Forest
All outdoor burning of yard trash, household paper products, bonfires, campfires, warming fires, outdoor fire places, chimeneas, and cooking fires within said Jurisdictions is prohibited unless: 1) authorized by the Florida Forest Service; or 2) for the cooking of food exclusively within a contained gas or charcoal grill.
The setting of fires to any grass, brush or forest covered land, unless authorized by the Florida Forest Service, shall constitute a violation of the law.
Be it also ORDERED that the purpose of this order is the mitigation of the public safety hazard posed by wildfires during the current dry weather conditions by curtailing the practice of outdoor burning.
This order shall expire when conditions are again deemed safe, upon such date as determined by the Holmes County Board of County Commissioners in conjunction with the Holmes County Volunteer Fire Department.
ORDERED THIS 7th DAY OF March 2022
To access the approved 2021 Local Mitigation Strategy Plan for Holmes County, FL, click the link below:
Notice is hereby given that the Holmes County Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Working Group will hold a public meeting on Thursday, August 6th at 10:00AM. The meeting will be held virtually. Those interested in attending may do so from your computer, tablet or smartphone at (click link) https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/125090333 You can also dial in using your phone (872) 240-3212 Access Code: 125-090-333
Governor’s Executive Order 20-112 (4/20/20) – (opens in a new window) – PDF
Limited movement and personal interactions outside the home.